Friday 14 September 2012

[dcphp-dev] The PHP Ecosystem in DC - Developers of Custom Apps vs. Extensions vs. Skinning CMSes

As most of you who know me are well aware by now, I spend a lot of time as a recruiter when I'm not spending time as the product owner for my software startup that the recruiting work has helped to bootstrap over the years. Most of my recruiting time has been spent helping product teams to look out for people who build custom web and enterprise applications, or mobile in many recent cases, from scratch.  

Lately, I have been working on a new theme for my WordPress blog because I want something that is in HTML5. I've looked at a few themes like Roots, etc.  In the process, I have started looking at using Git to help with version control for WordPress theme management and for the development of custom extensions. 

The reason for this post is that I am curious how many people in the local community are working with CMSes like WordPress, Drupal and Magento and who are also using version control systems.  I'm also curious how many people out there are doing custom extension development for products like WordPress, Drupal, and Magento vs. spending time simply customizing themes.  

Maybe this is a topic for beers after the next DCPHP meetup, but I would love to hear from others in the community about their experiences and perceptions of the ecosystem. I'm definitely looking to learn more about this stuff as I spend more time working on it myself.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Group: "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" - http://www.dcphp.net
To post, send email to washington-dcphp-group@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe, send email to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/washington-dcphp-group?hl=en

0 comments:

Post a Comment