Monday 2 December 2013

Re: [dcphp-dev] Type safety in PHP

The only thing so far is Keith Adams's presentation at StrangeLoop:


However, it does go over their approach and you can download the slides to see the examples of how they've implemented their type system.


On Dec 2, 2013, at 4:56 AM, Robert Stoll <rstoll@tutteli.ch> wrote:

To be honest, not really, I know that the project exists and what the aims are, I read sometimes a few blog posts but that's it.

I was in contact once with a team member at facebook and had an insight how they plan to extend the syntax of PHP to allow further type hints (variable, return types etc.) but it was all unofficial at that stage and I couldn't really find any language reference by now.

Do you have a link by chance to a language reference or a specification (the link on hhvm just leads to the wiki on github which isn't a specification IMO)?

 

But I know a few contrasts between the projects. HHVM's big goal is performance and they have even introduced a new runtime environment to achieve this goal where TSPHP's goal is introducing type safety without changing the runtime environment.

That's the biggest contrast. If you want to run HHVM's PHP then you will need an own hosting server with the new runtime environment set up whereas TSPHP runs on the common environment as it is today.

To conclude this point, I would say HHVM's clientele are (bigger) companies which usually have an own hosting server where TSPHP's clientele are all PHP users but especially the man in the street which cannot afford an own hosting server. This might well change over time if the HHVM should gain popularity and web hosting companies are picking up HHVM runtime in their assortment.

 

Another difference is that one can write strong typed code with HHVM but it's optional (that might have changed by now, link please :-) ) where TSPHP enforces strong typing (it is type-safe, more precisely type-safe during compile time, during runtime it is still PHP and thus type-unsafe).

 

If you can provide me a link to a good documentation of HHVM then I am glad to point out more differences.

 

Cheers,

Robert

 

 

From: Sandy Smith [mailto:sandy@sfsmith.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 11:26 PM
To: Robert Stoll
Cc: DC PHP Developers Group Washington
Subject: Re: [dcphp-dev] Type safety in PHP

 

I'm curious if you have followed HHVM and the introduction of their stronger-typing additions to PHP, and if so, how do you compare/contrast with your project (as it relates to strict typing and strong typing)?

 

 

On Dec 1, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Robert Stoll <rstoll@tutteli.ch> wrote:



Heya,

 

Quite a long time ago (almost a year), I asked you guys to fill in a survey about type safety in PHP which I conducted in context of my bachelor thesis.

Unfortunately, I did not really have time to publish all results on a website so far but I am happy to announce that you can find the results here now:

 

My bachelor thesis serves as a basis of the open source project TSPHP (Type-Safe PHP). You can find further information about it on the wiki as well:

 

Please don't hesitate if you have further questions about the survey or the project.

 

Cheers,

Robert


Am Samstag, 12. Januar 2013 10:38:01 UTC+1 schrieb Robert Stoll:

Hi,

I am currently working on my final project of my undergraduate study and the project is about type safety in PHP. One aspect of the project examines the opinion of the PHP community on this topic.

I now need your help. I want do reach PHP developers all over the world including developers from the USA. I would be very glad, if you could take 5 – 20 minutes to fill in my online survey: http://www.q-set.co.uk/q-set.php?sCode=PGSKQCJUWZVK

I will publish the deliverables of my project under an open source license. Thus you contribute automatically to an open source project if you fill in the form :)

Thanks for your help
Robert Stoll

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Group: "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" - http://www.dcphp.net
To post, send email to washington-dcphp-group@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe, send email to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/washington-dcphp-group?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

--

Sandy Smith - http://musketeers.me/

php[architect] magazine: http://phparch.com/

 

@SandyS1

 

 




 


--
Sandy Smith - http://musketeers.me/
php[architect] magazine: http://phparch.com/

@SandyS1





0 comments:

Post a Comment