Monday 9 December 2013

[dcphp-dev] New Venue?

Hey everybody—

So as those of you who have come recently have seen, Fathom Creative is going to be revamping their space. So while they have been awesome and I'm very grateful for their continued provision of space to us, it's time to find somewhere else to meet. As far as I know, we're the last OSS group meeting regularly at Fathom.

So I'm open to suggestions for a new space. I've had some offers in the past, but those have all changed hands or moved since their offers.

Here are the requirements for a space:

1) Relatively easy access after 6PM.
2) Near Metro. I think this will enable a lot of people to show up who couldn't always get to Fathom, made worse by the worsening parking situation.
3) Downtown DC. Somewhat selfishly, it's hard for me to guarantee showing up all the time if it's in suburban Maryland, and while a lot of Crystal City or Rosslyn/Courthouse locations would be fairly accessible, DC residents have an allergy to crossing the river. If someone else wants to step up and organize a place in, say, Silver Spring or Bethesda, I'm happy to go back to just coordinating happy hours. However, I think we should exhaust all possibilities in the District first before we consider a NoVA or MD-based solution.
4) Ideally, open to having beverages (and even food). I'd like to try harder to get us some food sponsors to make it a little easier for people to pull the trigger on coming out.
5) A projector or large TV.
6) Able to seat up to 60 people. We still do pull in a crowd occasionally.

In return, of course, we'd list the venue as a sponsor and give them access to address the group each time, or I'd be happy to deliver messages as part of my announcements.

If anybody knows the folks at Canvas Co-work, I know they make their space available to groups like ours.

Final question: Would people be open to a small charge for attending if the venue cost money? I notice DC Web Women did this, but I don't know if it was to pay for their venue.

Thanks,
Sandy

--
Sandy Smith - http://musketeers.me/
php[architect] magazine: http://phparch.com/

@SandyS1





0 comments:

Post a Comment