Saturday 14 January 2017

[dcphp-dev] I am Looking for a PHP Mentor

Hi all!

Happy new year! I am looking for a PHP mentor to help me structure/organize my PHP learning. Up until this point, it has been a bunch of googling and reading tutorials that may or may not be up to date. I am on the php-mentoring.org site, but have not had much luck thus far. I also am working on a small personal web application as part of my self-teaching process. My goal is to learn enough PHP so that I can start doing freelance or volunteer development work, and/or contribute to open source projects at a junior developer level. 

If you are interested in helping me out, please let me know.

What I am looking for in a mentor:
  • Structure/guidance on what to learn/focus on (foundational PHP concepts, OOP, frameworks, APIs, ??)
  • Help sifting through what is good PHP coding practice vs. what is outdated and/or wrong
  • A Code reviewer
  • Any help with learning about design patterns and where/when to use them
  • Willing to do "homework", so if you know of coding problems/exercises that can help me learn, that would be awesome!
  • Someone to bounce questions off of (especially dumb ones!)
  • Someone with professional PHP experience would be great!
Logistics:
  • Since I have a full-time job, my availability is nights and weekends
  • Skype, e-mail, slack, and/or meeting up at a coffee shop/bar/park/restaurant are all fine with me!
  • Whatever time you have available is perfect. I know everyone is busy, so I am not requesting for a lot of time.
  • Anywhere in Fairfax County, Arlington, or Alexandria is preferred for meeting up, but I can swing into DC if needed (not as frequently, though)

A little about myself
My name is Whitney Yiu. I have been attending the DC PHP Meetup for a couple of years now, so you probably know my face, if not my name. I am a .NET developer (I know, I know...the dark side....), but am very interested in learning PHP. I live in Virginia, play soccer, and have gotten into a love/hate relationship with politics since I moved to the DC area.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Group: "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" - http://www.dcphp.net
To post, send email to washington-dcphp-group@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe, send email to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/washington-dcphp-group?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment