Thursday 15 December 2016

[Downtown Dharma Listserve] In Search of Housing

Hi Folks, 

My name is Jess and I am looking for housing! I am a recent transplant to the area; I came in June to do a 6 month contract job in Montgomery County. I was intending to move back to California, but I'm being lured by DC, so I will stay and explore that
​.​


Currently, I am looking for housing from January 25th - April 25th, but I have good options for short-term housing, so I can do any shorter amount of time within that 3 month time-frame, if you have a shorter offer. Also, I am open to (and hope to be) doing a longer-term arrangement if the fit is right. I am super flexible, so if you read on, and I sound like a roomie you'd be stoked to have, I can work on time-frames with you. 

I will be working in Takoma Park during February and March, so I'm aiming to be no longer than a 30-minute trip from there in any direction. I don't have to be close to a metro, though that would be awesome. I do have a (bio-diesel fueled) car, and I would need a free street or driveway spot for her.

My max budget is $700 monetarily, but I have a ton of skills to trade, and great references.  
Skills: I take care of people's pets professionally (outside of the house) and I also train dogs. I am a postpartum doula, and in the doula job I often cook for families - I have a lot of experience preparing traditional, minimal ingredient, wholesome and very tasty food. I am also a crisis counselor, and my work centers around students from high school through college. I organize homes (mostly basements and garages) for folks who don't have the time or emotional energy to do it themselves. I do transcriptions, and translation work (Spanish <--> English). I have taught, and am certified in infant, child and adult CPR, I have experience driving infants, children, and pets. And I have a green thumb! 

About Me: I am an introvert, and as such, sometimes it just takes me longer to open/warm all the way up to new people. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, making fermented food + beverages that I am happy to share.  I don't smoke, and I rarely drink, though I'm not opposed to it. I have a meditation and yoga practice. I am anti-consumerism, and I spend time actively trying to better my environmental footprint. I will try to make or mend
​or convert ​
something before making a move to buy something. I like thinking about how to best employ humor to temper fear. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlIrI80og8c)  I was head of household for 3 years in a
​ diverse​
community house (6 members) in Oakland, CA. 

I am trained in Non-Violent Communication and Collaborative Problem Solving, and always appreciate living with folks who try to be both straightforward and kind. I am tidy in communal areas, and I want to live in a space where communal areas are generally tidy. I tend to do well living with folks who are past their first Saturn Return. I would like to live in a smoke-free house (including weed) (no judgement). I aim to live with wholesome, caring people who think about justice more than they think about, say, Netflix or sportsball. I am open to all kinds of living arrangements, except sharing a bedroom. I only own one car-load of things, so I would be over the moon about a furnished room, but it's not a necessity. 

If you would like to meet me, I will be in town until December 24th, and then I will return around the 10-14 of January. Please send me an email at tojessbrown@gmail.com! Thanks much!

Warmly,
Jess Brown

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to downtowndharma@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/downtowndharma.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment