Sunday 21 July 2019

[Downtown Dharma Listserve] getting to IMS via train/bus is not too hard, I recommend it

Hi all,
I've been driving to IMS in Barre Massachusetts for a few years now and I recently decided to see if I could get there via public ground transportation. My motivations were (1) it is a long drive which is not good for me post-retreat (2) the climate crisis.

I was happy to find out that this is totally doable and cheaper than I expected. The tricky part is that public transportation will take you Worcester, then you still have to get to Barre. Cab is an option for the last leg (reportedly $50), but I've been able to get rides via IMS' rideboard, once from a town in Connecticut on a NYC commuter train line and once from Worcester.

There are many bus/train/ride options that will get there.  Here was my most recent itinerary. 
DC to IMS:
5:20 am Amtrak DC to NY Penn, arriving 8:45 am, $53 
*walk 1/2 mile to Port Authority bus terminal. Get breakfast and enjoy being in NYC for a second*
10:30 am Peter Pan bus to Hartford. Transfer to another bus to Worcester arrive 2:35 PM, $37.50
2:40 pm picked up by fellow meditator. (bonus, in a Prius) ($gas donation)
Arrive IMS about 4pm. 

IMS to DC
1:15pm left IMS with different meditator (another Prius)
2:50 PM Amtrak from Springfield directly to DC. Arrive in DC 10:30 pm. $74 

Total cost under $200. Carbon impact... better than the alternatives.

It's easier to get back because there are trains straight from Springfield and you can ask for a ride there at the end of a retreat. Many of the cars leaving IMS will be going through Springfield, which is located conveniently at the intersection of I-90 and I-91. Unfortunately I don't think people generally check the ride board to see if someone would like to be picked up there. 

Sharing because now that I've figured out what the options are, this way wins over driving hands down. It takes some coordination (for the ride part), getting up early on the way there (not that different from retreat schedule), and surely takes more time than flying. I'm fortunate to be able to do work on my laptop so it's not "lost" time. It feels great to have the transportation part of my retreat experience be ethically aligned. It's also been delightful to see things and meet new people by traveling this way. 

Warmly,
Erin


















--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/downtowndharma/CAL0AaMp3OxQtRfa16nQ%2B55WyXSVoDAxxfdzju486LumKV7VyxA%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment