Monday 8 July 2013

[dcphp-dev] Joomla Customization

A friend recently asked if I could help them out with a Joomla website project. I'm no CMS expert and I'm primarily into building apps that involve Rails and new products.  Because I had a couple of people available and the friend had some money budgeted for someone to help them on the project I decided to help.  So over the weekend I picked up a couple of books and read up on the state of Joomla. Before this, I worked with WordPress somewhat extensively and spent some time kicking the tires on PHP Nuke, Drupal, and Joomla on a kick it to see how it works basis.

Day one involved standing up the Joomla site on EC2 with Git and figuring out what is going to be involved.   i which is for a friend of the family. I spent the weekend reading a couple of Joomla books that I could pick up at the library or Barnes & Noble and got fairly versed in Joomla essentials.  I found XCloner and am looking at how to bring the site from the 1.x level to 2.5 or 3.1 tomorrow.  It looks like the template is going to break on the first step.  This is the easy part.

After I get done with this I'm going to try to implement multiple user levels, one paid and one free but registered.  The tiers will be used to allow paid users to register for an event or webinar for free vs. for a fee.  I am looking for the best option to do this and it looks like MageBridge, the Magento extension for Joomla could help with this.  What I am wondering is if there is anyone in the DC PHP community who has had some experience with setting up a system like this before or who has some experience with MageBridge and Magento + CMS integration (with Joomla a plus, but not required).  I'm still at the study it phase so input or suggestions would be nice.

You can drop me a note via contact@socialmatchbox.com - thanks!

Bob
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Group: "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" - http://www.dcphp.net
To post, send email to washington-dcphp-group@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe, send email to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/washington-dcphp-group?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment