Monday 11 November 2019

[Downtown Dharma Listserve] Dharma Reading Group Sunday 11/17

Hello Sangha members!

First, thanks to Vince for guiding us last night in a metta practice. 

I'm emailing you to let you all know that we'll be holding our second Dharma Book club meeting this coming Sunday 11/17 at 4:30pm. The location this week will be my apartment near Logan Circle / U Street. The address is 1909 13th Street. It's half a block from the U St / Cardozo Metro line (Green/Yellow). We'll meet at 4:30 and then walk over to Flow Yoga for the meditation at 6pm. 

Here is a link to a Google Doc with the reading for this week. I'm also attaching a PDF version as well. The reading this week is a collection of articles. I put this together thinking about some questions I've been pondering in my own life:
  • What is modern Buddhism?
    • Is it ok to take some of the teachings & ignore others?
    • Can meditation practice ever be truly 'secular'?
  • How do I define my own practice and spirituality?
  • Is there a link between mindfulness & social justice? Where is that link found in the teachings, and how does it manifest in our lives?
Even if you can't make it to the meeting, you're welcome to do some of the reading and send over some thoughts or reflections that I can then share with the group on Sunday.

Those of us that went to the first Book Club meeting last week have started a WhatsApp group to discuss meeting times, logistics, etc. If you'd like to be added to that WhatsApp group, please email me back with your phone number and we'll get you into the group!

Finally, if you're planning on joining, please respond to this email or text me (615-947-5928) and let me know, so that I have a rough headcount. I'll want to get the proper amount of snacks (chips & hummus, crackers, etc.) and make sure everyone is comfortable with the amount of seating. Feel free to bring snacks or goodies if you'd like!

Looking forward to the discussion.

Cheers,
Benjamin

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/downtowndharma/2c58fe77-3e90-4cda-85af-15e6210829d0%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment