Friday 8 September 2017

[Downtown Dharma Listserve] Sunday, Sept. 10 - Equanimity during challenging times

How do you cope when another Really Awful thing happens in your country and world (nevermind personal life)?

I usually start by feeling like something HAS to be done, then I feel guilty that I'm not doing enough, and then I get overwhelmed and try to tune it all out. While guilt, denial, and avoidance are natural when overwhelmed, they're shaky ground. The Equanimity Prayer helps me return to stability. The prayer, though secular and really more of a statement, is common in Buddhist circles. Click here to listen to the prayer as part of a 3-minute guided meditation (scroll down to August 31).

After using the prayer, I feel a physical calm. What comes next--either in that moment or over the next few days--is clarity. Perhaps I realize that what's difficult is not mine to take on. Perhaps I realize that I am, indeed, called, which I recognize from a natural arising of energy to take wise action, usually by allying with others so I'm not alone. Either way, acceptance of the current reality is the firm ground from which I take the next step.

We'll explore Equanimity together at this Sunday's gathering, September 10th. After the meditation and short discussion, we'll connect with each other around this topic.

Please arrive by 6pm as we lock the doors soon after in accordance with our host location's policies. Someone will check the door again around 6:30pm.

See you soon,
Klia


For folks who feel overwhelmed, depressed, or anxious
​and who want to shift into full realization, also known as enlightenment.
Free short meditations
Workplace
Classes | Seminars | Retreats

http://www.visityourself.net/
36,000 Twitter followers: @visityourself

Klia Bassing, MBA, MPP, Director
Visit Yourself at Work: Mindfulness Meditation & Games

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to downtowndharma@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/downtowndharma.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment