Thursday 6 October 2016

[Downtown Dharma Listserve] Re: The 5 Rememberances Text--from class with Kaira Jewel

Kaira Jewel,
Thanks so much for posting these texts from your class. I find them very helpful when I have to miss a class, and I'm guessing others feel the same way.


On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 8:55:36 AM UTC-4, Kaira Jewel Lingo wrote:
Dear Sangha,
at the class I led a few weeks ago, I mentioned the practice of the 5 Rememberances, which the Buddha encouraged us to meditate on daily. Here is one version of this practice from the Thich Nhat Hanh lineage for those that are interested, from the Upajjhatthana Sutta.

The 5 Rememberances

I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old.

I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health.

I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.

All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.

My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.


You can also read more about other versions here.

May this regular reflection on impermanence help us live our lives more deeply and with gratitude,

Kaira Jewel



"There is only one kind of success that really matters: the success of transforming ourselves, transforming our afflictions, fear, and anger. This is the kind of success, the kind of power, that will benefit us and others without causing any damage." The Art of Power Thich Nhat Hanh

"Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how well it turns out." Vaclav Havel

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to downtowndharma@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/downtowndharma.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment