Thursday 11 December 2014

[Downtown Dharma Listserve] Sat March Against Police Brutality - Dharma practitioners traveling from Phoenix, Arizona request practical support

Hi all!

It looks like a lovely group is forming to participate in the Faith Vigil tomorrow. Meanwhile, folks nationally are planning to converge on DC Saturday for march and actions against police brutality (see article in the Hill here)

Tara received the following private Facebook post from practitioners traveling in from Phoenix, AZ, who could use some support with a place to take care of personal needs such as showering while they are here (they are not staying the night in DC, but just coming for a turn-around trip!). I was thinking that the best way to address their needs would be if there were 2 or 3 of us with homes near one another (Kristin and I are in Adams Morgan) who could host members of the group during the day on Saturday (we wouldn't want to send them all over DC/far away from another) - either in the morning or the evening, pre/post march on Saturday. I immediately thought of this listserve as some of you might be able to offer this kind of hospitality. The size of the group is 10, so I don't think one household could do it. If you have ideas or connections at a local gym or Y that you think could/would host everyone at once, that would also be great.

Given Melissa's recent warning about sharing personal info on the googlegroup, how about folks respond directly to me (not the listserve) about this.

Blessings,
Eleanor

Ms. Brach and Community,
I am a distant student (from Phoenix, Arizona) through Dharma Seed and I have appreciated you talks and meditations for the last year or so. Somehow each talk is what I need to hear in the moment. 

Today I right for guidance and support in an upcoming journey. There is a small group of Phoenicians driving to the DC area for the March Against Police Brutality. There will be just about 10 of us on a turn around trip. I ask first that you keep is and all the people marching in your thoughts. 

Second, I ask for myself if there is a particular meditation you suggest for strength and stamina through these tough times. I find myself struggling to focus. I feel small, alone and with a great deal of angst. Guidance is appreciated. 

Lastly, can you direct me and my group to any places where our group can get support for taking care of personal needs like showering. As I mentioned we are on a turnaround trip and none of us have family in the immediate area. If you could direct us to a welcoming YMCA, yoga studio, or other community center that would be really helpful. 

I am sure you and your community are very busy. We would be deeply grateful for any support that you could give. 

Thank you 
Laci

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to downtowndharma@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/downtowndharma.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment