Saturday 14 October 2017

[Downtown Dharma Listserve] Class on Sunday, Oct. 15 - Where's the self-love?

Do you find it easier to feel compassion for others than for yourself? Yes? Then come to this Sunday's class with me, Klia.

Mindfulness is (i) present-moment awareness and (ii) heart. I, personally, can always use a little help on that heart part.

And that whole thing about it being easier to feel compassion for others than for yourself? Well, sure, but without self-compassion and self-love, even love for others is brittle. It depends on things going well. This, then, reinforces the sense that love is something to be earned, something to strive for...something that can be lost in a heartbeat.

Here, listen to RuPaul...


In my own quest for self-compassion and self-love, I've concluded that I can't love the same thing that I take myself to be. Uh, what?

It's like, in order to feel tenderness for myself, I need to see myself or my emotions from another perspective. The Dalai Lama once said that, when he's angry, he calls it "My little anger." Do you see what he's doing? The anger is no longer him. This other-perspective-taking can also be done by seeing yourself through the eyes of someone who cares for you. That's what my 3+ minute guided meditation invites (scroll down to see recording from October 14).

The question then is, even when you do sense others' appreciation for you, can you take it in? I can feel overwhelmed if I start to let in others' care and appreciation for me. The problem with that is, if I'm not able to take it in, I'll forever be trying to prove myself worthy of love, of approval, of appreciation...when it was there all along.

This Sunday, October 15th, at Church of the Holy City, 6-7:30pm. Address: 1611 16th St NW, to enter, go up driveway to right of the church and enter using that side entrance.
Please arrive by 6pm as we lock the doors soon after in accordance with the church's policies. Someone will check the door again around 6:30pm.

See you soon!
Klia

For folks who feel overwhelmed, depressed, or anxious 
and who want to live from a deep knowing that they're already whole.
Free short meditations
Workplace
Classes | Seminars | Retreats

http://www.visityourself.net/
35,000 Twitter followers: @visityourself

Klia Bassing, MBA, MPP, Director
Visit Yourself at Work: Mindfulness Meditation & Games

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to downtowndharma@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/downtowndharma.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment