Saturday, 25 July 2026

[Downtown Dharma Sangha Listserv] Tomorrow evening: Vows as a living practice

Hi friends, 

I'm looking forward to gathering with you tomorrow for meditation practice, learning, and community time. The talk I plan to offer is on vows as a living practice. 

This topic became very pertinent for me recently, as I prepared to renew my wedding vows in celebration of ten years of marriage. I was drawn to reflect on the beautiful tradition of vows in the Dharma. The Bodhisattva vow -- with its mind-boggling, impossibly high aspiration -- has inspired countless generations of practitioners. Vows guide the conduct of monastics, as they strive to become an embodiment of the teachings. 

So what can vows mean for us, as modern lay practitioners? What does it mean to feel the call to commitment, to strive and fall short, and to move with love towards the more beautiful life that our hearts long for?

There will be a 30-minute sitting practice, a short talk, and plenty of time to connect with others in small groups. I hope you can join! 

Warmly,
Dechen 


In-person: Sunday, 7:00 to 8:30pm @ Yoga District — 1910 14th Street NW, 3rd Floor, Washington, DC (please try to arrive at least 10 minutes early)


Online via Zoom:  Join here 



--
https://www.downtowndharmadc.org/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/downtowndharma/fcb2a5a3-7ca1-454a-a412-685fcaf19c88n%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment