Monday, 27 July 2026

[Downtown Dharma Sangha Listserv] Our upcoming DD retreat! + resources from last night's talk

Dear friends, 

It was wonderful to gather with you last night! A few of you asked me to follow up with some links and resources. So here they are. 

A reminder that our Downtown Dharma retreat is September 18-20! I'm so glad to be leading this alongside Kristin Barker. We're designing this retreat as a time of deepening connection and friendship within the DD community. Carpools will be organized, and scholarships are available. Please don't hesitate to apply for one, and let us know what else you need! 

The four concepts about Vow that I shared last night were: 
1. Just making the attempt to live our vows is a path towards being transformed.
2. Vows need not be rigid rules that we punish ourselves for failing to uphold. Vows, at their best, are practices.
3. Vows call us beyond our ordinary sense of self.
4. Vows draw us more deeply into our uniqueness.

Some resources for further practice and inquiry: 

I mentioned the late teacher Rob Burbea as someone whose work links Dharma teachings with Jungian concepts. As a way of looking into his work, here is a talk he gave on 'fantasies of the path.'

Here is the best version of the Four Great Vows chant I could find. This one is in Japanese; hopefully another time we can all chant it together in English! There are many different translations of this text; I learned is as follows: 

Myriad lives without number, vow to free them.
Greed and hate without limit, vow to end them. 
Gate of truth without measure, vow to know them. 
Awakened way without compare; vow to fulfill it.

I welcome you to keep in touch on my Substack, via my website, or just by dropping me an email.

Wishing you all a wonderful week and a wonderful rest of summer -- 

Warmly,
Dechen 

--
Ellen McSweeney, LICSW
Contemplative psychotherapy in Washington, DC

--
https://www.downtowndharmadc.org/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IMCW Downtown Dharma social/volunteer listserv" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to downtowndharma+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/downtowndharma/68c00b6d-4ea1-4481-9ee6-d9681c71a089n%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment